Thursday, February 23, 2006

Written Out

I thought I’d written myself out
thought I’d written myself out of words
written myself out of melancholy
myself out of friends.
And I had.

Now here is a poem about nothing.

A poem about my father cutting
his intestine out, and my sister
stapling her stomach and sucking
her thighs and hips off.

Here is a poem about my mother’s voice
getting older over the phone,
and gifts forgetting their address
and getting lost in the mail.

A poem about another couple of friends
who are no longer, as of last Sunday;
and another who stopped being
a few months before.

Here is a poem about days slipping
under the couch, and nights
not even good for sleeping;
a poem about not writing poems.

A poem about a few years
not worth writing about
or even remembering;
here’s a poem about not writing.

Here is even a poem
about not even writing to you,
because it would take words to do so,
and I am all out of them.

I have
written
myself
out.

2 comments:

katy said...

i read this whole piece like the preface and the last stanza, those last 5 words, are the empoch, the zenith, the magnificent, the promise fulfilled. for that, i adore the poem and even more the poet. as always.

Anonymous said...

this is a fantastic piece of art. It's the mark of a great poet when you read his poem as a story, and it speaks to you.

Just wow.