Friday, April 21, 2006

What If

What if this is happiness?
This thing, tasteless as water.
What if this is the perfect day?
The one where nothing happens.
What if I didn’t notice;
would it count?

What if this is it,
missing them
but still able to hear their voices?
What if this is it,
waiting up for you till midnight
and then you come home?
What if all there is
is this cat, turning on its back,
waiting for a tummy rub?

What if all that happens
is this
and then nothing,
would this be a life?

6 comments:

katy said...

ashraf my dear, i don't actually have time for an email and a comment... so will just say it all here... you have something like 16 or 18 votes on the poetisphere already!! am so proud of you ^_^

this poem is lovely. simple and lovely.

i hope you are well dear

and i hope i hear from you

and i hope i have time tonight so that you might here from me (other than this)

Lycanthropy said...

well done, funny i stumbled on this , i think we were classmates at some pointin time

david raphael israel said...

Osman,

this is the first poem I've read of yours. I certainly like it. It speaks with what one might call "lyrical directness" to what one might call "the existential puzzle, emotionally construed."

cheers,
d.i.

arch.memory said...

Thank you, David; I certainly couldn't have put it more eloquently myself. Hopefully it won't be the last!
Cheers!

Fouad said...

ashraf! I had no idea this was you! you probably don't remember me but I was your classmate in med1 before you decided to follow your karma. You had the courage that I lacked. good to see you here and take care. fouad

Russell Ragsdale said...

Could death define this? Why is water clear? Thanks!