Thursday, August 17, 2006

Comment

That same night they bombed the mosque at the cemetery at the end of our street in el-Dahyeh, where my grandma is buried; I have never been happier that she's already dead. (So much for "Rest In Peace"!) No wonder my mother and sister are starting to think they can feel her ghost sitting by their side on the bed in the mountains; it must have taken her a week or two to walk up there... In their hurry, people always leave the dead behind.

That night, they also created some new tenants for the cemetery, right from the buildings next door (though they have to dig them out of the rubble still). Forty of them, my sister said.

Yesterday my mom opened her pharmacy again, at the other end of the same street. Not all the neighbors, or employees, are back; but those there were happy to get some long-needed pills.

Today I heard a reporter on the radio saying that the Dahyeh smelled old, like an abandoned house. Or a woman by the side of the road.

A photo of what remains of a nearby pharmacy of my mother's colleague .
Click on it for more photos that my friend Eve took.

4 comments:

Eve said...

"I have never been happier that she's already dead."
I've heard many use this phrase over the last month.
and i didnt know what to say.. maybe because they were damn right..

Mark Prime (tpm/Confession Zero) said...

What sad pictures. I weep.

arch.memory said...

Yes, I just hope that's the end of it...

linalone said...

We all do hope so...