Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Yoke (Concept of a Nation)

(To the Lebanese Bloggers of the War)

Hunched
in our corners of the earth,
holding down the fort,
pretending to do something.

Garbling
a code of song,
of longings of ten years ago,
and of love

to this concept of a nation,
this bowl of fire
in the guts.

This resonance of a woman’s voice
reverberating in the heat;
this prayer of desperation
that shudders under the familiarity of death;
this face, grown weary from
this concept of a nation.

The rhythm of days
has grown syncopated
in the largesse of your breath.

You, inhabiting the rubble,
the ghost streets and the night,
the night pregnant with the silence
of those who weren’t there.

You, parting the weight of the air
laden with age,
with truncated years.

You, carrying the clot of a promise
between your teeth
like a mother cat carries her young.

Lift the yoke of what remains
and trudge
_____forward, somewhere
the earth will exhale
and flatten her bust for you.

11 comments:

Eve said...

in all corners of the world, it was their voices that kept us going. thank you ashraf.

Unknown said...

thank you ashraf :)

_z. said...

beautiful words ashraf. thank you.

Crunchy Weta said...

I like the title, the concepts of egg yolk (pre birth of a nation) and the yoke as applied to beasts of burden.
A terrible thing to walk in new haunts.
Cheers
Glenn

arch.memory said...

Eve, Mirvat, Ziad:
Thank you for being home away from home during this...
Glenn:
I am so glad the yolk/yoke concept came through! I thought it might not. :)

Mark Prime (tpm/Confession Zero) said...

Wow... A painfully erotic trip to the future or would it be to the past?

Nice work, Ashraf. Very.

Peace.

gitanes legeres said...

ashraf
send me ur address. i'll burn a fairouz cd for u. elleh shou baddak.
N

Hashem said...

thanx Ashraf...thanx for all the lebanese bloggers....
"the night pregnant with the silence"
I loved this part in particular...:)

Anonymous said...

I would have underlined
‘this bowl of fire
in the guts.’

I really liked
‘and the night,
the night pregnant with the silence
of those who weren’t there.’
Not only is it about the silence of those who were not there, that night (pregnant) is that same night in which Téta talks (yet silently) to Selma by the closed grocery store, or is it not? There is multiple-dimensionality endowed to the silent night of Lebanon.

And I, too, feel futile,
Ton frère Ahmad

Post scriptum; ah! The egg! Now I got it!

Post post scriptum; the connexion here is outrageous. If I were to surf any longer I would rape myself. I shall just read the remaining poems and to-morrow we shall discuss

arch.memory said...

Thanks, Mark. Funny, I didn't think of it as erotic, but now that you mentioned it, I can see what you mean.

Gitanes, thanks for the offer, I'll e-mail you immediately!

Hashem, thank you...

Ahmoudeh, habibi, it's been ages! So good to read a comment from you again! I can imagine what a pain your connection must be right now (which make your comment all the more precious!). And yes, habibi, it's the same night, same silence... Big hugs!

Anonymous said...

Mohem Khilsna, w ana 2araret ensa... 2awlak be2dar enssa?
good work Ashraf :)