Saturday, April 21, 2007

And the Thinking Blogger Award goes to...



A couple of weeks ago, Tamie named me as one of the 5 lucky recipients of her Thinking Blogger Award. I felt especially honored by the fact that I was the only blogger on the list she didn't personally know. Thank you, again, Tamie!

So, it took me a while (by the time I came back to the luxury of my DSL connection in the US) to comply with the rules for the awarded, which are as follows:
  1. If, and only if, you get tagged, write a post with links to 5 blogs that make you think.
  2. Link to this post so that people can easily find the exact origin of the meme.
  3. Optional: Proudly display the 'Thinking Blogger Award' with a link to the post that you wrote.
And now, it is my pleasure to pick the 5 blogs to give the Thinking Blogger Award to:
  • something katy
    I do have to start with Katy, certainly one of the best things to happen to me in the blogging world. Katy and I met through blogging, less than 2 years ago, strangers mutually admiring each others' work (though it certainly feels now like we've know each other for an eternity). We were so thrilled by our correspondence, musings about poetry and frequent digressions on life, that we decided to start a blog for it. And then, as we became better friends, it seemed we both started writing less. But every now and then I still do find on her blog(s) that post that reminds me why I was so enamored in the first place, and why I still am one of Katy's biggest fans!

  • mysterious eve
    For all those who don't read Arabic, I am sorry--that you are missing on Eve's writing. She does have an English-language blog, but it is different in content and spirit from the Arabic one. And though there has been a few translations of some posts here and there, it still is a privilege and a pleasure to read Eve in Arabic. Very few people writing in Arabic these days compare--even the wit of the lighter posts is a pleasure! And though she, too, seems to have been struck by scarcity recently, her blog remains a trove of gorgeous insightful writing.

  • Passing for Normal...
    The jack of all trades, Mirvat seems to write in every format and subject matter, all impressively well. From poetry to fiction and non-fiction, from incisive (and very well-informed) political commentary to insightful introspective musings and colorful narratives, Mirvat's blog is always a delight, if not a thoughtful challenge. And be sure to have her on your side when it comes to heated debates... Phew!

  • Silliman's Blog
    Even though I highly doubt that Silliman would participate in this meme, this list of Thinking Bloggers couldn't possibly be complete without him. His blog remains by far the gold standard of blogging poetics, and often broader cultural issues. From his invaluable posts of links (perhaps the most efficient way to catch up on brainy reads around the web), to his expansive (and always impressively informed) reviews of books and events, I know of no other blog that even comes close in dedication and consistency of quality. And there is perhaps no better indicator of that than his loyal and passionate readership, as evidenced in the never-ending commentary section.

  • urban_memories [the unfinished polaroids]
    No, I am not biased by the fact that our blogs share the same template, or that we share the same nationality and profession; but I must be at least a bit biased towards the sensibilities that are the cause/result of these commonalities: from the hyper-punctuation of his handle and blog title (that is as architectural as they come, in the contemporary sense of architecture that seems to concern itself with anything but building), to the fixation on memory and ephemerality. Still, _z.'s (see?) posts remain lucid and grounded, always enjoyable and on-the-pulse. But perhaps what I am most biased towards are his excellent comments, which are often more articulate and insightful than the posts he's commenting on.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

honored to say the least :)

Eve said...

Ashraf! I'm so touched! thank you :)

_z. said...

coming from you... that's an honor man.