Saturday, May 27, 2006

Hunger

I shall stand naked
above the city rising from the dust,
above the streets trampling the sea,
and feel as invincible
as the day my nudity mattered.

How short is the distance
between boys and men...
Hungry as a vulture I stand
craning my neck over you,
devouring what I used to be.

Interchangeable in a tyranny of desire,
we detail the manners in which
our flesh wraps around itself
in an emulation of wombs.

That breath on the neck at night,
the pressure of the skin where none should be,
we bite the apple with more love
than God can ever muster
for the body of Christ.

© Copyright 2010 Obeida Sidani

10 comments:

katy said...

i have been thinking about this poem for days. i think i liked the other title better.

it is a tremendous poem, dear. and i don't use that word very often.

arch.memory said...

Thanks, dear. And you know I mean it when I say it means a lot to me coming from you.
Though what's the other title?!

katy said...

wasn't it called Nudity before?

arch.memory said...

No, Nudity is another one! (Scroll a bit further down...) Similar lines, different poem :)

katy said...

maybe you should name them both Nudity... or maybe not, i seem to be confused enough as it is ^_^

arch.memory said...

Well, they are kind of related, and they each contain the title of the other in them... But I think I'll keep them separate, if only to confuse you! ;)

Erin said...

I hate to say something as trite as "this speaks to me" but it does.

You have a real knack for adding power to both your openings and endings.

Crunchy Weta said...

Sounds like you are a vampire hunting youth! lol.. well I will have to give this a reasonable time to percolate through my consciousness... back later..
Glenn

rch said...

Hello Ashraf,

I had to read this many times to really get a grasp and found it very intense. The last verse particularly moves me. I heard somewhere that hunger is the worlds best sauce. Very good entry, take care,

Bob

arch.memory said...

Erin, I don't think "this speaks to me" is trite, not when you mean it. Thank you.

Glenn, I never thought of it, but I guess it is vampirical, perhaps the "Craning my neck" part.

And Bob, thanks for the comment; I do hope you send me a link for this week's carnival!